As a parent, we all worry about our children’s health and we always want them to be in their pink of their health. I do that as well, in fact, I keep browsing parenting websites for ways to understand how immunity works and how can I make my children healthier and their immune system strong.
What is Immunity? According to Wikipedia in simple lay man’s terms, it is defined as – The immune system is the set of tissues which work together to resist infections.
How Does it work – The immune system is made up of a network of cells, tissues, and organs that work together to protect the body. One of the important cells involved are white blood cells, also called leukocytes, which come in two basic types that combine to seek out and destroy disease-causing organisms or substances.
Why is it important – Immunity is body’s defence mechanism of the fight against diseases and infections. the human body is exposed to trillions of germs every single day which can be found in the air we breathe, drinking water or food. There is no escaping from bacteria, and the body is always vulnerable to an attack by germs. When the immune system is weak, bacteria tend to be stronger and this is what makes the body susceptible to diseases.
Simple Home Methods to Build Your Child’s strong Immunity System
- Breast Feed your baby – Lay the foundation strong by feeding your baby. Remember nothing can replace breast milk ever.
- Vaccination – Vaccines contain viruses that look like antigens. So the body produces antibodies that can protect you in the future if exposed to antigens. Following a regular vaccination schedule is always good and guards toddlers against various diseases.
- Spices like – Include Garlic, Ginger, Honey, Cinnamon, turmeric, Flax seeds in your regular intake of food. You can incorporate these in shakes, juices, home-cooked meals or snacks.
- Green Vegetables, Oranges, Lemons and Graves, Avacado, Kale, are great to boost your immunity system. Try to get your child to eat five servings of fruits and veggies a day. One serving is about 1 cup. Toddlers need about 1 cup each of fruits and vegetables per day.
- Foods like – Fish, Eggs and Chicken are also very good if included in the diet
- Give your children dry fruits every day like walnuts, almonds. They are wonderful for the system
- Include homemade or store-bought Yogurt or Curd daily in your diet.
- Prefer to cook your food in coconut, canola or olive oil
- Ensure your children take about 10-11 hours of interrupted sleep every day
- Let your kids spend some time in the sun early in the morning to make up for their daily intake of Vitamin D
- Drink 2-3 Litres of liquid every day. this not only helps to keep your immunity system working but also is essential for your hair, bones, and overall health of the body. You can include soups, juices also on regular basis.
- Exercise is a great way to keep your child free from diseases. Regular exercise of about 30 minutes daily boosts the immune system and provides many other health benefits to your child. You can also enrol your child in swimming classes, tennis classes or any other sports of his choice.
- Avoid Sugar, Junk and Oily Food – Occasional indulgence is ok, but when you overdo this, children will feel the brunt of it
- Listen to soothing music to relax. When you remain stressed, your body tends to fall sick more
- Maintain body Hygiene – Ensure children keep themselves clean. Wash your hands frequently, carry a sanitizer if on a move.
- Shower Love on your children. Keep the communication bridge always open. Let them know that you are always available for them No Matter What! Discuss things about school, and friends regularly
- Say Kind words and encourage them for every little act of theirs
What do you do besides these to keep your children healthy? Do share your thoughts and don’t forget to leave your comments, like this blog or share this across social platforms.
Until Next Time – Cheers and God Bless!