Like most of us who regularly take care of our physical body, I am sure you also take care of yourself. From making sure we brush our teeth every day, to change into fresh clothes every day, blow dry our hair, clipping your nails… I hope you get the idea of what I am trying to get at. Although it’s absolutely essential to take care of our physical attributes, have you given a thought to the emotional self-care of your body? Do you know what Emotional Self Care is and why is it so important ? How should you go about it? Read on to understand more about it.
“The only person who can pull me down is myself, and I’m not going to let myself pull me down anymore.”
– C. JoyBell C.
What is Emotional Self Care?
Emotional Self care is acknowledging the feeling that you are stressed and then work towards a solution to it in a positive manner. Many of us may feel overwhelmed by stress that is created by our everyday routine, strain in relationships, the behavior of our children, mundane office setup or balancing home and work.
Emotional Self care works for everyone differently and so it is imperative that we know what works for us and how to deal with the stress that you are living with.
Why is Emotional Self care important?
No matter how indulgent or fancy the term may sound, Emotional Self care is crucial for our physical, emotional and mental well-being. It is important to maintain a healthy relationship with yourself as it produces positive feelings and boosts your confidence and self-esteem.
Negative sentiments can carve a hole in our souls and if our body and mind have been going through an emotional beating, you will unquestionably need a bit of self care and well-being to get over it.
What happens when we do not invest in Emotional Self care?
If you choose not to free your disturbing feelings, these feelings will come out in different ways like in your emotions, in your actions, your decisions. It may lead to an emotional breakdown. Maybe unexpected and sudden as people around you are often shocked and bewildered. It will be similar to that of a ticking time bomb.
How to Emotional Self care?
“An empty lantern provides no light. Self-care is the fuel that allows your light to shine brightly.”
- The first step to any recovery is acknowledging the fact that something is bothering you and you need help to overcome the obstacle.
- Verbalize your thoughts. Do not just remain grumpy and keep cribbing about what is happening around you
- Find a friend who you can confide in or call your friends or maybe a mentor who can hear you out and can provide suggestions.
- Start penning down what are feeling. You will be surprised how your day changes when you blurt out everything that was bottled inside of you.
- Before agreeing to do a favor for anyone, ask yourself, Will you compromise your peace if you said a Yes? Can you spare your time for someone else?
Ways to Emotional Self-care
- Do not beat yourself up for everything that goes wrong also, one must remember that YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE to fix everything.
- Neither are you responsible for someone’s happiness
- Create boundaries with people. It is said, that it’s your behavior that actually tells people how to behave with YOU. So, next time watch out what is happening around you
- Call someone when you start to feel overwhelmed
- Acknowledge your emotions of guilt, embarrassment, judgment among many others
- Accept that you are good and accept any compliments that come your way. Feel and say your gratitude.
- Give yourself another chance to try again. Many times, life does not turn out the way you planned it, but ITS OK. Get up and try again
- Spend 10 minutes every day doing NOTHING. just be silent and breathe deeply with your eyes closed.
- Listen to at least 4 songs of love each day
- remember all the things that you are good at, try to write a love letter to yourself.
- When you wake up, look in the mirror and compliment yourself. Try with 2 compliments daily
- Speak to yourself, as if you would speak to a baby. With all the love in the world.
Thank you for reading Emotional Self Care
I am a member of Team 3 #InvincibleGang. Read some more interesting posts this June from my team members. Here they are and do not miss to follow them on twitter for more updates –
If you liked this article – Like, share and comment on it. What do you think about this post – Emotional Self Care?
Until next time – take care, stay healthy and connected with us.
Subscribe to our blog to receive notifications whenever a NEW post is published
**Disclaimer – images used in this article are NOT my property and have been used ONLY for the sole purpose of a reference **
This is a personal blog that chronicles my own experiences. Readers must take proper medical advice (if any discussed above) before trying anything at home
Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Princy Khurana (@clanpedia) with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.