The Art of saying NO

We all have been there, including me. Many times, we struggle at the thought of saying no to people. Saying NO is hard and so we end up saying yes to everything, even though that means we would struggle to complete the given task. The Art of saying NO is a very gentle art and to be successful in your life, we have to learn the same. 

The Art of saying NO

Why do you think we end up saying yes when we really want to say NO?

> We are scared to hurt other people

> Do not want confrontation of the reason of saying NO

> Don’t want to let down our image of being a perfect person, who is always available for help

> Fear of rejection or the fact that people will unfriend us, or people do not 

> To let someone down

It’s a simple fact that to stay productive and less stressed, we should learn The Art of saying NO. Remember, everytime you say YES to someone, you actually say NO to yourself and your being. So, how do we go about saying a NO, without feeling stressed, guilty or powerless? 

“Let today mark a new beginning for you. Give yourself permission to say NO without feeling guilty, mean, or selfish. Anybody who gets upset and/or expects you to say YES all of the time clearly doesn’t have your best interest at heart. Always remember: You have a right to say NO without having to explain yourself. Be at peace with your decisions.” 

Some simple tricks to say The Art of saying NO in a gentle way – 

Value your time –

The most important thing before we begin is to know that YOUR time is precious. Know your commitments. When someone asks you for commitment, check if you can actually devote time to the task. Does it compromise your priorities or your deadlines?

Try ” Let me get back to you ” –

There are times when you are not ready, and someone one calls and asks you for a favor. during these times, do not hesitate to ask for the time. check if you can truly do this and get back to them. Let them know the reason why you would not be able to help. 

Saying no can be the ultimate self-care.  

Be Firm –

When you have to say NO to someone, be firm in your approach. Do not let the other person know that you are feeling sorry, stressed or obliged to do the task. Stay firm, and know that you cannot please everyone, even if you tried all the time. Let them know politely, that how you wish you could have done the task and helped them, but unfortunately, you cannot since your schedule is already tight. Set limits right from the beginning and let others respect them as well. 

Practice saying NO –

Well someone said it right! Practice does make a man perfect, and so practicing NO several times will help you build the confidence of saying NO. When you are confident, you will not have to make excuses for saying NO and will be able to directly say so. 

Take time –

Sometimes, you may be pressurized into saying yes immediately. Take time off and ask for a day or two and think about the task at hand. Can you do it? Do you have resources and time to do it? This will give you a chance to come up with the best way to say NO.

“Real freedom is saying ‘no’ without giving a reason.”  

Avoid Limp words –

When saying NO, avoid using limp words like – I don’t think I can, I am not sure. If you leave a trace a doubt, then it is still considered a yes by the other side. As mentioned above, Be firm in saying your NO.

Maybe Later –

Sometimes, when you come across a good opportunity, you may want to take that up, but maybe currently you cannot. You can use the art of saying no hereby put it off. Say something like  – Perhaps you can check up with me in 2-3 weeks, or 1-2 months. Maybe next time when they check up the task with you, you may be available.

Do not explain yourself –

when saying No, remember, you do not need to explain yourself to anyone really. Why ? you would ask – Because when you tell a reason, that probably means you are feeling guilty and the other party can try to manipulate and try to make you say a yes. Learn to say the art of saying no.


Thank you for reading and knowing more about The Art of saying NO

If you liked this article – Like, share and comment on it. What do you think about this post – The Art of saying NO. Until next time – take care, stay healthy and connected with us.

Subscribe to our blog to receive notifications whenever a NEW post is published


**Disclaimer – images used in this article are NOT my property and have been used only for the sole purpose of a reference **

This is a personal blog that chronicles my own experiences. Readers must take proper medical advice (if any discussed above) before trying anything at home

Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Princy Khurana (@clanpedia) with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Partner Posts

12 thoughts on “The Art of saying NO

  1. Saying No is such an important thing at times. This is for our own sake and not stretching ourselves in a burden. I have learnt it a hard way to be honest but I’m so thankful I am now a bit straightforward and say no if I can’t do certain things instead of just pushing myself to do it without happiness.

  2. Such an awesome post ! You are right , we shouldn’t hesitate to say NO when we are not comfortable with something. Sometimes sayimg NO saves us from many future problems 🙂

  3. I so much wanted this post as I find myself always in a fix when I wish to say a “No”. I end up usually saying will get back to you , as you suggested but at times it has to be a firm decision.

  4. A very good read indeed….and very nicely put up….we all have come across innumerable incidents in life wherein we said “Yes” inspite of wanting to say “No”…..This post has really summed up how we can avoid doing this mistake and really say what we want to say!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *