As much as we love being outdoors, my heart breaks to see my kids when they complain about mosquito bites. As a parent, I want them to be safe, but I also don’t want them to be infected by any mosquitoes and keep looking for an Insect repellent that is | Efficient, convenient & safe
Before we head out I ensure they wear long sleeved tops and long bottoms so as to -avoid this. Unfortunately, this is impossible in summers when the sun and humidity is shining down in all its glory.
So, how do we as parents – Prevent Mosquito-Borne Diseases? Children love to play outdoors. During humid /monsoon/winter season – outdoors start brimming with mosquitoes. Sadly – You and your children are forced to head back home.
These tiny insects can bring all sorts of illnesses such as Dengue, chikungunya, and malaria.’
Luckily, these illnesses are preventable. Here are some ways to protect your baby that are – Efficient, convenient & safe
Why is it important to Prevent Mosquito-Borne Diseases?
Mosquitoes are one of the most dangerous critters on the planet as they can spread deadly diseases very easily and at a fast pace.
With the rise in reports of Zika Virus, Malaria, Dengue fever and Chikungunya around the world, its quite scaring how these little creatures can create havoc. Hence, their notorious reputation.
We have Mosquito repellents, creams that can be used for keeping mosquitoes away but with children, who keep moving, these never seem to work.
Simple ways to protect your child against Insects –
Mosquitoes are most active at dawn and dusk and hence, it is essential that your child is properly clothed before you head out.
- Avoid sandals – and wear shoes, that will cover your feet well
- Stay away from places that have standing water
- If using a stroller, walker, play mats – cover them with a fine net
- Use natural insect repellents
- Avoid any products that contain strong fragrances.
- Ensure your child is dressed in light-colored – full sleeves and full bottoms and closed shoes with socks
- Avoid flower pattern or bright color clothes
- Use net on the windows and doors of your house. This way you will be able to get ventilation but also keep your house safe.
- Try and stay indoors during dusk and dawn
- Once you are back home, ensure you and your children wash their hands and legs properly.
What is DEET?
A substance called DEET is regarded by many medical experts to be the best protection against mosquito and other bug bites.
However, recently there have been concerns about the safety of the specific concentration of DEET applied to children and you should use caution / stay away from products that contain DEET.
DEET is known to cause skin irritation, disorientation, dizziness and, in extreme cases, seizures.
Do not use products with DEET on children younger than two months of age
How to choose a good Natural Insect Repellent for your child –
You can also use natural oils to protect your children against mosquitos.
- Neem Oil
- Lemongrass Oil
- Peppermint Oil
- Rosemary Oil
5 top Mosquito Repellents for babies and children that are safe in India
1) Introducing Mother Sparsh Natural Insect Repellent
Mother Sparsh Natural Insect Repellent is 100% natural and safe product which is formulated with the combination of best Ayurvedic herbs.
The presence of eucalyptus oil creates herbal armor (protective shield) which protects from insects such as mosquitoes, fleas, ants, etc. Additionally, it contains essential natural oils such as lemongrass, citronella, and camphor which provide a soothing effect on the skin. This Deet free natural insect repellent keeps your baby safe while indoors or outdoors.
- 3 Way Protection: – It provides complete protection from fleas, ants, and mosquitoes while you are indoors or outdoors.
- 100% natural: – It is formulated with the goodness of natural oils such as eucalyptus, camphor citronella, and lemongrass.
- Mild Fragrance of essential oils: – Fragrance is mild of the essential oils. A pleasant fragrance like this repellent really amazing and harmless.
- Easy to Use: – The spray bottle makes it easy to use and also maintain the hygiene level.
- Deet free: – This insect repellent does not contain any synthetic chemicals which are harmful to the skin.
- Safe for Kids: – Safe for everyone including infants, kids or adults. Anytime anywhere protection.
Complete protection from Insects
It is 100% Natural – The Roll Ons have pure Citronella and Eucalyptus oil. It is made up of concentrated natural oils and both these oils are natural mosquito repellents.
Pediatrician certified as baby safe. Goodknight natural mosquito repellent is safe to be used for babies and children alike. For babies from 0-2 months of age – the roll-on can be applied safely on their cot, pram, strollers or slings. For babies above the age of 2 months – you just need to apply 4 DOTS on the clothes they are wearing before stepping out. 2 Dots on either side of shoulders and other 2 Dots on both knees and you are ready to Prevent Mosquito-Borne Diseases.
3) Dabur Odomos Mosquito repellent crème
Clinically tested and proven, Odomos crème offers safety from deadly viruses infused by vectors. It comes with non-sticky formula and the goodness of aloe vera and citronella, gives protection for as long as 12 hours.
4) Mamaearth Natural Insect Repellent
Mama earth’s all-new Deet-free natural repellent spray with the goodness of citronella, peppermint, eucalyptus, and other natural components protects babies’ delicate skin from insect bites.
5) All-Out liquid mosquito repellent
All out electric liquid repellent covers the room to provide protection from mosquitoes. It comes with multiple setting adjustments that ensure safety in areas with a greater number of mosquitoes.
Treating Mosquito Bites
There may be scenarios, where even after every protection – your child may get bitten by an insect. In that case –
- Disinfect the insect bite
- Use a soothing cream to minimize the effects of itching or swelling
- In case of inflammation – use ice cubes wrapped in a towel
Thank you for reading
If you liked this article – Like, share and comment on it. Subscribe to our blog to receive notifications when a NEW post is published.
**Disclaimer – images used in this article are NOT my property and have been used only for the sole purpose of a reference **
This is a personal blog that chronicles my own experiences/research. Readers must take proper medical advice (if any discussed above) before trying anything at home.
Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Princy Khurana (@clanpedia) with proper and specific direction to the original content.